The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

09 February 2007

The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick

I did not enjoy The Paid Companion because of its stereotypical characters, overused dialogue, and (concurrently) overly-complicated and very weak plot. While I can see that some people wouldn’t find these items a problem, I definitely did. The books I enjoy reading have to keep my interest, and I was very bored while reading this book, and looked forward to the end. I hope that those readers who read Quick on a regular basis have also found other authors to try, for I would pity anyone who only reads these bodice-rippers. I don’t plan to read any more books by this author, though I have listed recommendations below, for those readers who do like Quick.

If you enjoyed this book, please consider :
Fiction Recommendation #1 : With This Ring by Amanda Quick. An earlier novel by Quick, which has the same basic characters and storyline as The Pain Companion.

Fiction Recommendation #2 : Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. This book would cater to the reader who enjoyed the gentle manners of Regency England. S&S is decidedly better in the areas of character development, plot, and dialogue.

Nonfiction Recommendation #1 : Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders by Josephine Ross. This is a very informative book about Regency Era English Manners, including how to dress and rules on making social calls. If the reader is interested in the finer points of etiquette, this book is for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home