The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

08 March 2007

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To be fair, this was the second time I’ve read this Pulizter Prize-winning novel by the elusive Ms. Lee. I was surprised to discover how much of the book I remembered since High School (was it really that long ago?). This is the kind of book which stays with the reader, and I think that is why it is a) still being taught in High School classes around the country since its publication in 1960, and b) constantly on numerous top-ten lists for Best American novel; Best Novel of the 20th Century, etc. Lee’s descriptions of life in Alabama during the Great Depression are so complete that they envelope the reader in that time and place, and the people who live there. This novel made me remember my (long-ago) American History classes and the events that led up to and indirectly influenced this sleepy town of Maycomb. I enjoyed this book very much, but it’s difficult to explain why. The story doesn’t have a very happy ending, with the conviction and murder of an innocent man, the attempted murder of two children, and the death of the town drunk. However, I felt very pleased somehow with Scout’s actions and conclusions at the end of the book. The way she behaved towards Boo Radley made her so much more amture than anything her Aunt Alexandra could have accomplished. I’d like to think that the people of Maycomb County (for they were all based on real people from Lee’s adolescence) were changed as well, but history has proved that to be unlikely. While a part of me would have liked a sequel of sorts, or an epilogue that explained whether or not Scout ever grew to enjoy school or if Jem ever became a lawyer, I’m glad Lee never wrote one because then the characters wouldn’t remain the same. Lee’s characters are so well-defined and full of personality that they are almost literature archetypes. Once again, I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone, anywhere.

It is worth noting that this book was made into a wonderful movie, which has just had a 45th Anniversary DVD released.

If you enjoyed this book, please consider the following :

Fiction Recommendation #1 : The Land by Mildred D. Taylor. This novel, a prequel to the Newbery-award winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, tells a similar story of racism and injustice in the American South. However, this book isn’t as depressing as it sounds.

Nonfiction Recommendation #1 : In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Capote’s well-known “nonfiction novel” was instrumental in starting the genre of contemporary true-crime novels. In Cold Blood tells the story of two men convicted and executed for murdering a Kansas family in 1957. If you liked the crime drama plot in To Kill a Mockingbird, this book might also appeal to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger ricklibrarian said...

I just checked out the DVD of To Kill a Mockingbird to have something good to watch during my convalescence. What a coinsidence!

Thanks for the good thoughts.

March 08, 2007 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home