The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

15 December 2006

Dumbledore's Army

So I read today that a woman in Georgia is trying to ban the Harry Potter Books from her local Elementary School Library. This is not a surprise, but it is a dissapointment. I wish these stories would be accepted as fictional flights of fancy and not the spawn of the devil, as they are made out to be.

Please let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thought, after reading that story, is that Ms. Mallory is a moron. The book promotes witchcraft and Wicca? Show me where.

The problem here, in addition to the fact that she's trying to ban a book (and thus joining the ranks of such stellar minds as Caligula, Hitler, and the KKK), is that it seems she didn't even read the book. If she doesn't know her enemy, how can she effectively fight against it? And how can she hope to present a credible argument?

Plus, it makes her look like a knee-jerk reactionary and that kind of person freaks me out.

--your sister, who BloggerBeta won't let log on to leave a comment. Because it's stupid.

December 15, 2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. Mallory is far from the first person to try to ban Harry Potter and thus deprive our children of ours of fascinating, imaginative reading. I'd rather have my kids reading HP than watching the garbage that passes for primetime network television now.
It's sad that we want to protect our kids from everything. I recently read in Sports Illustrated that several elementary schools have banned such recess activities as tag and jump rope, and many don't even have recess anymore. Can't we let kids be kids??

- Non-anonymous Jim

December 27, 2006 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home