The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

15 November 2006

Homosexual Demographics

I was asked to find some specific statistics about American Homosexuals. At first I really didn’t think I would be able to locate them; I didn’t think questions on sexual orientation were asked in the 2000 census. It turns out, they were. I’m glad I was able to learn that. I would also like to point out that if a patron wanted more detailed information on Current Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered Studies, the Northern Illinois University Libraries Rare Books and Special Collection Department has an extensive collection on that topic.

I found most of my information in :

Gates, Gary J. The Gay & Lesbian Atlas. Washington, DC : Urban Institute Press, 2004.


1) Facts on % of gay students, % of self medication (alcohol, drugs) % of depression, suicide attempts, correlation of degree of risk for GBLT to suicide/depression with being raised in a conservative home life, etc.

I am not sure that I can answer this question to the patron’s satisfaction, so I’ve listed some resources that may be of use :

2) What percent of the Population is Gay or Lesbian?
2a) Total in United States 209,128,094
2b) Total in Illinois 8,155,995
2c) Total within a 60 mile radius of Forest Park, Illinois unknown

3) Of the total Gay and Lesbian population what is the ethnic breakdown?
3a) Total in United States unknown
3b) Total in Illinois 68% white, 14% black, 14% Hispanic, 4% other

3c) Total within a 60mile radius of Forest Park, Illinois 62% white, 16% black, 17% Hispanic, 5% other [these figures are based on statistics for Chicago, IL]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home