The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

12 December 2006

Odds and Ends

Here are some questions that I’m just getting to now because they’ve been rather tricky to answer. As you can see, I wasn’t able to answer all of them perfectly. Thanks to Mother, Margaret and Angela, who sent them in.

1) Can you help me find recent (last 10-15 years) qualitative studies of race and racism, preferably sociological studies? In particular, I'm interested in studies that examine either public or private “race talk.”
You might find these sources helpful :

Pollock, Mica. Colormute : Race Talk Dilemmas in an American School. Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 2004.

Giroux, Henry A. Channel Surfing : Race Talk and the Destruction of Today’s Youth. New York : St. Martin’s Press, 1997.

“See no evil, speak no evil: white police officers' talk about race and affirmative action” McElhinny, Bonnie. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology. 2001; 11(1): 65-78.


2) What is the by-product of Hydrogen when used as fuel for vehicles?
Heat and water.

Source : A Student’s Guide to Alternative Fuel Cells


3) Where can I find information on aliasing?
While I could not find the answer, I suggest you use the useful tool that the Virginia Institute of Marine Science advertises on their website : Ask Dr. Bob , where anyone can pose questions regarding Oceanography to a scientist.


4) How many fiction books carry the same title?
I was not able to find a number, but I was able to find a short list, as well as to learn that the reason why there are many different books with the same title is because titles cannot be copyrighted. Characters, yes (which is why no one can publish a book about Luke Skywalker without George Lucas’ permission).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home