The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

02 November 2006

Speaking Words of Wisdom...

In a very lackadaisical way, I would like to recommend The Compleat Beatles as a fantastic documentary on the Fab Four. This VHS (because it is not yet available on DVD) stands out from the other anthologies because it focuses just on the title character - The Beatles. Rather than trying to give a biography of each of the four musicians, it tells the life story of the band. A perfect example is that while explaining The Beatles' world tours, the narrator (a wonderfully expressive Malcolm McDowell) occasionally mentions John's wife; but never by name. It wasn't until a partner had an affect on The Beatles that she was named.

George Martin is interviewed extensively, and is a very compelling and charismatic presence. He shares information about recording sessions and orchestrations, and their musical influences (the only influence on The Beatles I had heard about before watching this was The Beach Boys). Brian Epstein's influence is also discussed - how he managed the band and created the neatly attired image America accepted in 1964.

The story begins in the working-class neighborhood of Liverpool, England, and the viewer is aware of the lifestyle the musicians were used to, as well as the drive all local youths felt to become 'somebody' and leave town. After following the band twice to Germany, the story starts to become familiar - but only slightly. I was surprised at how much history I gleaned from this documentary, when I thought I knew most of the story from the other productions and books I've watched/read. What's more, I shared the experience with Xander and Cameron, who knew little about The Beatles, other than what they've read in liner notes. And they (15 and 12) found it interesting. And that is high praise from a teenage male in this technological day and age.

While the documentary is over 20 years old (released in 1984), it does not lack anything; it perhaps benefits from the fact that the band had been apart only 14 years. I highly recommend it to anyone who has two free hours. Check your local libraries for availability.

1 Comments:

Blogger ricklibrarian said...

The Beatles still mean a lot to me. Somehow, I missed this documentary, so I have placed a hold. Thanks for the review.

November 08, 2006 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home