The Actress and The Bishop

Thoughts and Ramblings from a Student Librarian.

Name:
Location: Illinois

I act. Lately, I've been acting like a Librarian-in-training

06 June 2007

Done with Reader's Advisory

As you have most likely noticed, there has been a lull in my posts. That is because, as I mentioned earlier this year, I had been posting book reviews because of an assignment for my Reader's Advisory class. The class has now ended (yes, I did pass) and unfortunately I do not have the drive to write and post reviews on a regular basis. If you are wanting such a blog, I suggest you check out RickLibrarian, who is much more coherent than I.

Today I would like to leave you with my lingering thoughts on Reader's Advisory.


1) This is what I envision when I think of Reader's Advisory in a random Public Library.







Not only is it true to life, it's wonderfully acted by Fry & Laurie.


2) No matter what you suggest, the patron will always find some tiny thing not to their liking.


3) The real goal of the Librarian, I have always thought, is to teach the patron how to search for and find books on their own. Therefore I highly recommend Librarian's Booklist Search, created by RickLibrarian, which can be useful, as well as easy-to-use (keeping in mind the helpless patron).


4) Unshelved brilliantly depicts public library life. A few months ago, there was a run of strips regarding RA, and I've included the best here. For more, please travel here, here, here, and also here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home